The proposed Play Barn seeks to meet the aspirations set out in Play England’s ‘Design for Play: A guide to Creating Successful Play Spaces’. The Play Barn will provide a bespoke facility for the children and young people, aged 5-14 years old, in the local community to experience play in a safe, supervised environment where they will be encouraged, supported and challenged to take risks – a critical element of children’s development.
Design for Play sets out 10 Principles for designing successful play spaces:
Successful play spaces…
– are ‘bespoke’
– are well located
– make use of natural materials
– provide a wide range of play experiences
– are accessible to both disabled and non-disabled children
– meet community needs
– all children of different ages to play together
– building opportunities to experience risk and challenge
– are sustainable and appropriately maintained
– allow for change and evolution
These principles have been used throughout the design process to ensure that the proposed development is successful.